Kromeriz

Photographs: Touristic info centre Zlinsky Kraj, Wannes Sambaer

Official website: www.mesto-kromeriz.cz

In 1777, this town, located in Central Moravia at the foot of the Chřiby hills, became the seat of the bishops of Olomouc.  The splendid Kroměříž chateau and its beautiful gardens are considered an especially attractive and well-preserved example of Baroque palatial and garden design. They played an important role in the development of Central European Baroque architecture of gardens and palaces. 

The castle gallery houses a major collection of European art, featuring an especially stirring oil painting by Titian, "Apollo's Slaying of Marsyas".

The chateau itself, its Flower Garden and the Garden Below the Chateau were entered in the UNESCO list of world cultural heritage sites. Kroměříž is located some 50 km from Brno, near the Brno – Olomouc highway, and is also well-connected through the regional rail network.